Thursday, March 10, 2016

Grandpa's Funeral


My Grandpa Dickson's funeral was on September 22nd.  He had been sick for a very long time.  We knew the day was coming for awhile.  I miss his humor and bright smile.  Because he had been sick and wasn't himself for awhile I found myself withdrawing a bit.  I'm okay with remembering him when he was witty, strong and happy.  I saw my Grandma Dickson days before she died and I saw her...she just wasn't her.  So I didn't want to remember him like that as well.  

His funeral was a beautiful tribute to his life.  A life that he lived to the fullest.  He was honorable to everyone that knew him.  He had a strong testimony of the Savior and of the eternities.  I know he is in Heaven and I'm happy that his pain ended and that he got a joyous reunion with his parents, his wife, and 3 of his 4 children.  My mom and Patrice gave some wonderful heartfelt talks.  There was also a musical number by my cousins. Jeffrey was a little crazy but we managed and I did my best to hear.  As we were walking out to the cars to drive to the grave site I was obviously sad.  Andrew said, "It's okay mom.  Grandpa is with Jesus now."  Wow, he was being so sensitive to the spirit and I was so grateful for him in that moment.  Such a good boy.  I rode in the hearse with my parents and my brother to the grave site. 



















Andrew was amazing at the grave site (in fact all of the boys were good).  I think he could feel how special this day and moment was.  He watched the service men fold the flag in complete reverence.  If you know Andrew, you know that is extremely rare.
























They gave the flag to my mother.  I thought it was very neat because he started off saying, "On behalf of the President of the United States..."  The rest I have on video.




My father giving the grave site speech. He's not an extremely emotional person but when he gets chocked up, it makes me very emotional.  He did a great job talking about Grandpa.  






We went back to the church for a luncheon and it was nice to talk to my cousins and their spouses.  Jeffrey and Brian sweeping the floor afterward.


0 comments: