Sunday, April 3, 2011

Church, Smiles and General Conference

I’ll first start off with some not so wonderful things to say.  I normally like to keep my posts cheerful but this is something I have to write about.

It all has to do with our new church schedule. 

Our current ward split, which means I don’t get to see my friends from the Gables every Sunday.  If that isn’t bad enough, they changed us to a different building and the blocks are reversed.  That means it is Relief Society/Priesthood, Sunday School and THEN Sacrament meeting.  I thought it would be rough BUT rough is a complete understatement.  The first time to do this new schedule was last week.  So last Sunday started slow and I started to get ready for church at 10:30.  Well, Andrew started to get pretty fussy that morning which made it difficult to get ready.  Church started at 12:30 and I got there at 1:00.  Considering that I contemplated not going at all because of how getting ready was going I was pretty proud of that.  It was my first time getting me, Tyson and Andrew all ready for church by myself (because Brian is currently working on Sundays from 7 am to 6 pm).  Andrew ended up being an angel at church and slept the entire time in his car seat.  BUT because Tyson went to Nursery before Sacrament meeting he was totally and completely WIRED.  He was acting crazy and bad.  He was yelling out, throwing things into the air, standing on the bench and jumping off of it.  He has had his moments in church for sure but I don’t remember it being this bad for a long, long time.  If Andrew hadn’t been so great I would have left in the middle of a talk, crying and dragging a soon-to-be 3 year old behind me and we would have gone straight home.  However, I hung in there.  Brian’s mom gave me a bunch of new quiet toys to take to church.  I really think he’ll like what is in store.  Fingers crossed that next Sunday goes a little bit smoother. 

On Friday night we took our friends Joe, Heather and Dallin to the Blue Lemon.  Brian and Joe made a bet over the March Madness bracket and who ever lost had to buy the other family dinner.  Well, we had the pleasure of buying and I insisted on the Blue Lemon.  It is super yummy and I’m so glad we got to hang out.  Funny little story though.  We had just got our food and started to eat when a server came over with a plate of 4 cupcakes and 2 cookies.  She told us these treats were taken care of by someone.  We told her that she must have the wrong table.  She told us that it was from an Uncle and to look around.  Turns out Joe’s Uncle was eating across the way and bought us all dessert.  I thought that was so nice and Brian and I have never even met him.  I thought that was really cool!

On Friday night (April 1st!) Andrew slept for 8 hours straight.  I woke up confused but felt so rested.  I forgot what it was like to get un-interrupted sleep.  It was fantastic.  I am so glad he choose to be nice to me on April Fools day instead of playing a prank and waking up every few hours.  Love him!   He has also started to smile.  He does it when we talk to him in a high-pitched voice and smile really big.  These are the best pictures I could get of it.  It doesn’t last long and he has only done it a few times the last day or two!

IMG_0269_edited-1 IMG_0272_edited-2

This weekend was General Conference.  It is so nice to hear from our church leaders.  I loved Elder Scott’s talk about marriage and eternal family.  I think I cried through almost all of the talk.  I think it was amazing.  If you’re interested here is the link to the talk.  Start 12 minutes and 30 seconds in…

http://lds.org/general-conference/watch/2011/04?lang=eng&vid=877215388001

  While Conference was on Tyson played with Play-Dough.  It kept him entertained and quiet for an entire 2+ hours.  Here he is making a mess and enjoying every minute of it!

IMG_0273_edited-1

I told him to smile and these are the faces he gave me.  Apparently he heard me say, “Make a happy, sad and than mad face.”  Silly boy!

IMG_0275_edited-1 IMG_0276_edited-1 IMG_0277_edited-1

And this is what Andrew did during Conference.  ; )  At least he has an excuse…

IMG_0278_edited-1

Tyson says some pretty funny things during the day and I just wanted to share a few that make me laugh.

**Anytime he wants gum he walks up to me and says, “What’s the deal…I keep it in my mouth.”  I started only giving him gum when he could repeat to me that he had to keep it in his mouth.  He has had a problem in the past of taking it out and it ending up in places around the house.  I would say “Okay, but what’s the deal?  You have to keep it in your mouth and if you take it out I won’t give you any again.”  Super cute and makes me smile every time.

**I love how he says Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.  He says, “Peaner Butter Sandwich.”

**Chocolate Chip Cookies comes out as “Chocolate Chips Cookie.”

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Your boys are such good sleepers..I'm so jealous:) good luck with the church thing - you're a trooper for doing it by yourself..I would have SUCH a hard time doing that. Love the pictures!

Heather said...

haha, love it! it was super fun seeing you guys Friday and I am so glad to hear that Andrew slept so well for you! We must have tired him out;) Tyson is a ham, he is so hilarious!

Sunny said...

church is sooo annoying w/o a husband there to help. i feel your pain. but that schedule sounds awful. what works w/ jack lately is taking away his favorite toy or bribing with a treat. if he is good then he gets a treat, if he is bad, his fave toy gets taken away. it might work for tyson? that is, if you are into bribing. good luck. yay for sleeping through the night!!!

jeff said...

Haha! that is a classic quote about the gum.
I can't imagine juggling two kids... one is plenty for now.