Monday, January 11, 2016

Potty Training Andrew

I started potty training Andrew at the end of January just before his 4th birthday.  I figured that way he would have it done and over with by his birthday.  Yeah, I was wrong about that.  He was pretty good about going pee in the potty but poop was a completely different story.  I tried candy, money, gross Zombie guys from the dollar store, stickers, pirate coins (and I'm pretty sure I even bribed him with a trip to Disneyland) and none of it, NONE of it worked.  If you can tell by the chart that I made for him he got progressively worse.  (Smile sticker was pee success, cars sticker was poop success and the tally marks at the bottom were accidents)  
I know I was suppose to remain calm but after 2-3 weeks of tons and tons of accidents I was losing my cool.  I cried so much and started to yell.  I don't know if it was divine intervention, someone mentioning this or what but all the sudden we realized that he was constipated.  The light went off.  It all made sense.  He had battled with constipation for a long time and I felt bad I didn't put the pieces together sooner. Lots of little poop in his diaper and then his underwear.  We ended up having to take some drastic nasty measures (suppositories) and then that did the trick.  It still took a few days after that but then he got it down.  I'm so grateful I started training him when I did and that he was done before I starting getting insanely sick with my pregnancy.  That would have been even worse.

I of course felt bad that it wasn't really his fault and I'd love to erase it ALL from my memory but I'm hoping one day I can shake my head and laugh about it.  Or at least share the story with him when he is trying to potty train his kids.  Pay back perhaps?

The toilet paper in the toilet I think was either Andrew's rebellion or Jeffrey getting into the bathroom and playing with the toilet paper.  Doesn't matter who did it, someone did.  

A cute moment with my soon to be 4 year old taking a nap in my arms.  I needed moments like that to keep me from eating copious amounts of chocolate or completely losing my mind.









Insert picture with captin american shirt on and no pants for blog book


0 comments: