Thursday, September 10, 2009

My first 5K!

Just wanted to share with everyone that I ran my very first 5K on Monday morning.  I woke up at 5:50 am (which is way too early to go run) to make it to Payson on time.  I was pretty nervous as I waited at the start line…

IMG_8002

Then I got excited when it started…

IMG_8003

On Saturday night I ran for 31 minutes with out stopping so I figured I was ready and could do this. I passed the 1st mile marker around 10 minutes and 45 seconds.  I was about 45 seconds behind my goal.  I thought I could make up some time.  Then I started to get really tired at the 2nd mile and I’ll admit I walked for 1 minute. (Still wish I hadn’t done that).  I ended up getting stuck with all the people that sprint and then walk every minute and I was pretty annoyed with myself for not keeping up with the people a minute ahead of me. Then I was on the home stretch with the finish line in sight and I felt like I was going to die…

IMG_8004

And I finished the race at 36 minutes and 24 seconds.  I placed 13th overall in my age division out of 20. Brian asked me if I liked it and if I wanted to do it again.  He asked this while I was about to collapse and throw up.  I told him absolutely not!  Then 2 hours later I was telling him that I want my time to be 32 minutes or under next time.  Oh boy what have I started?!  If you know me very well I do not like running and I NEVER have.  When our group in Indiana started running in the morning I decided to join in because I was tired of my exercise dvds.  The first morning I couldn’t run a mile if my life depended on it.  So although I am a little disappointed in my time and that I stopped to walk for a minute I have improved 10 fold then when I started this whole craziness.  I think this just might be my new addiction. 

11 comments:

Cody and Jessie said...

Yay!!! You are so freaking awesome! I'm totally impressed! I miss our Indiana running group. We should run a 5k together sometime - for old time's sake ;) But, seriously, when my back is better let's get some running in in the mornings before the weather get's too cold.

Bree :--) said...

Good for you!! I really do not like running either, but I really want to like it! Does that make sense. That's so great that you ran a race. Way to go.

reno and mel said...

Wow that is impressive! I love all your pictures of chicago. I miss seeing you everyday!

Jessica and Rod said...

Woo Hoo! Running really can get addicting if you let it. I've been running for 15 years! (Doesn't that sound like forever?)

Jeff and Julie said...

Yay! Good job! I am running a Halloween 5K. You should join me. I'll text you the registration info.

Stephanie said...

So good to hear you are back. Can't believe you have done all that running. I am trying to get into it. Way to go!

Mindy said...

Again..I am so proud of you! :) Love the pictures..I was going to ask if you were the outfit you got at Champion;) Miss you tons!

Brad and Hailey said...

Wow good for you! Great job!!!

Heather said...

Good job Ashley! I am going to have to train hard so I can do the next one with you! I am excited for Wednesday:)

Jodi said...

Good for you Ash! We miss seeing you. Tonights the season premere of gossip girl...YAY!!!!!

Terry and Kelci said...

Good job! These things get totally addicting....especially when your time keeps improving.