Sunday, June 24, 2012

Campin’

Friday-Saturday was our ward’s camping activity.  It had been two years since we last camped as a family.  Our current tent was too small so in preparation we bought a nice tent at Costco. I kept trying to get out of staying the night but our tent purchase over a month ago sealed the deal.  I even tried to get out of it because I have been having some sinus issues.  No such luck.  Tyson was super excited about camping and sleeping in the tent.  It was exciting because of his excitement.

Thank goodness for Jason Acosta for arriving at the perfect time.  He helped me carry (well, basically carried it all) all of our the bags while Brian started on the tent.  Since it was a new tent we weren’t familiar with how to set it up.  Jason helped the process along greatly.  Here is Tyson and Jack Acosta while we set up the tent in a decent amount of time.

DSCN2185

Our ward had a potluck dinner and the turn out was really awesome!  It was fun to watch the kids play in the volleyball sand and the big grass field.  We went to the tent to turn in around 9:30pm. 

DSCN2189_edited-2

This picture shows how big the tent is.  Anytime someone walked by the tent we heard comments like, Whoa that’s a big tent or That’s like the Cadillac of tents and a friend even asked me if it was a Harry Potter tent with a chandelier inside!  So hilarious.  Our tent certainly sparked conversation.

DSCN2186_edited-1

It took the boys quite awhile to fall asleep.  Once they did I was expecting to stay up and talk with Brian, but he started breathing heavy and I knew he was out.  It took me awhile to fall asleep and then Andrew would wake up and cry over any gust of wind.  He ended up on the air mattress with us after a couple of hours of being woken up every 45 minutes.  I knew it would be a night of no sleep and I was right.

Tyson campin Andrew campin

Around 7:45 am Tyson woke me and Andrew up and we headed to breakfast that the bishopric was making.  Brian had gotten up at 7 to start helping.  After breakfast we took down the tent and packed everything.  I think that has to be my very least favorite thing about camping.  Then we went up to the zip line and had lots of fun.  Brian helped at the bottom of the zip line for the full 2 hours.  Tyson rode the zip line twice and Brian and I each rode once.  I was planning on going with Tyson but he was set on going by himself.  What a big boy he was!

Tyson at the start.  I though for sure they would have to push him off the platform but he jumped right off.  Tyson later told me that the guy told him to pretend he was jumping into a pool.

DSCN2190_edited-1 DSCN2191_edited-1

DSCN2192_edited-1

Brian doing his job of moving the ladder and unhooking the clamp.

DSCN2193

DSCN2195DSCN2196_edited-1

We got home from camping around 12:30pm Saturday.  We ate lunch, took showers, and then the boys slept for 4 hours!!  It was exhausting and at times a little frustrating but it was fun and a great experience for our family.

Then today, Sunday, we went to our Sacrament meeting and then headed to Joe and Heather’s house to watch their boys while they went to Sacrament meeting.  To make a long story short, Joe had back surgery and can’t sit for a long time or pick up his kids or babies.  They haven’t been to church for awhile and when we heard this we offered to watch the boys.  It felt great to serve and those boys are adorable.  I will say this, I don’t know how Heather does it with a 3 year old and twin boys who are 4 months old.  When one babe would fuss I would calm him and then the other would start to cry.  My arms were completely full.  I still don’t know how she does it. 

Then to wrap up our extremely busy week we had a neighborhood BBQ/pot luck and the kids got to help make ice cream. Nikki Davis and I ended up sitting on the ground trying to finish because a lot of the kids lost interest quickly.  Ty stuck it out to the end with some of the older boys!

DSCN2201

0 comments: