Sunday, October 12, 2014

Girls Camp

I had the opportunity to go with the young women and leaders to spend 3 days at Girls Camp! 

I was in charge of getting everyone assignments for Secret Sisters leading up to camp.  That was fun to be in charge of. 

We left bright and early at 6am and were sent off by the Stake YW presidency.

IMG_2644_3551IMG_2647_3554

Next up, was getting everything unloaded and set up. The girls did a great job pitching in and helping. The girls even set up their own tents. Us leaders struggled a little bit. Part of the tent broke, but Sis. Sewell fixed it. The stakes for the stake tents had also been left at the church. It started off a little bit crazy but everything turned out just fine.

IMG_2648_3555IMG_2649_3556IMG_2650_3557

On the down time we played lots of games.  From Werewolf to bottle cap!  This one is the bottle cap game.  It was refreshing to get a bottle cap full of water in your face when you messed up.  It was really hot and humid that first day!

IMG_2661_3464_edited-1IMG_2668_3471_edited-1

Aspyn’s round lasted forever with her, “Name European Countries.” Apparently we all need to study Geography.

IMG_2672_3475_edited-1

Service Project

IMG_2679_3482_edited-1IMG_2682_3485_edited-1

Picking out walking sticks

IMG_2683_3486IMG_2698_3501_edited-1IMG_2721_3524_edited-1

Craft Night.  We made bracelets out of safety clips and beads.  They turned out super cool.  It was a very time consuming and tedious project.  I found myself getting very frustrated.  haha!  Nevertheless, it was a blast.

IMG_2740_3543_edited-1

Our hike.  Oh the hike.  I must be bad luck because whenever I was at camp we got lost on the hike.  This hike was no exception.  It started off really steep.  Like really, really steep. And it last like that for over a mile I believe. 

IMG_2742_3545_edited-1IMG_2747_3550_edited-1IMG_2750_3374IMG_2752_3376

We missed a turn off somewhere at the top.  I’m not sure it was labeled that well because how ALL of us missed it?  I’ll never know.  This is a spot where we all waited while Sis. Sewell called the missionary to find out where to go.  That then lead to us hoping over fences, wading through chest deep grass, etc.  It was hard for me not to worry.  I was a leader and someone they were looking to for guidance and support.  I did my best to keep smiling and encouraging all of the women to make it through.

IMG_2753_3377_edited-1

This was the end of the hike and I was glad to see the camp site ahead.

IMG_2757_3381_edited-1

Skit night!

IMG_2761_3385_edited-1IMG_2811_3433_edited-1

Songs by the campfire

IMG_2826_3447IMG_2829_3450

Tubing!  We thought it would be an easy, lazy river type experience.  We couldn’t have been more wrong.  After hearing the instructions from the guide I got a bit nervous.  I hopped onto my tube and was kind of in charge of about 5 girls.  However, with the different currents that all went out the window.  It basically became…help, whoever you are near at the time.  I watched a few girls flip out of their tubes and watched them really bond together and help each other.  It was really sweet to watch.  Just as I was wondering why everyone was falling out, I saw the waves crash together at the perfect point and create a wall.  A wall that I knew my tube was not going to go over.  I flipped out and tried not to panic.  I muscled back up on my tub as quickly as possible.  I couldn’t believe the rapids and how it seemed like an impossible obstacle course at times.  Everyone survived and everyone had a story to tell.  It made testimony beautiful to hear everyone talk of faith and prayer.  Between the hike and this, there was nothing short to talk about.

IMG_2839_3279_edited-1IMG_2850_3290_edited-1IMG_2851_3291_edited-1

The bishop was fun to get to know in a casual setting.  Here he is getting his award and dancing.  He taught the women some silly dance that required hip shaking.  I know the girls loved it!

IMG_2887_3327_edited-1IMG_2888_3328_edited-1

Bishopric night!

IMG_2890_3330_edited-1IMG_2891_3331IMG_2892_3332IMG_2893_3333

The girls went on a spiritual walk

IMG_2894_3334IMG_2899_3336IMG_2921_3358_edited-1

There was rain and powerful winds and lightening and thunder for two nights.  Some of the girls were very, very scared.  The night of testimony meeting was particularly bad, but only after we finished the testimonies and eating scones.

Here is everyone the morning before we left.

IMG_2932_3369_edited-1IMG_2934_3371_edited-1

It was a beautiful experience to spend time with the girls, in nature and away from distractions.  I grew closer to them and my Heavenly Father.  It was a blast too.  I can’t wait for next year!

0 comments: